Sunday, May 10, 2009

And What Do We Do With PreCalculus

It looks like I'll be teaching precal again next year as well as statistics. For statistics I think we've pretty well integrated the computers in the intelligent classroom. At least we've got a good start at it and we'll add more activities next year.

But what about precalculus? Can we use the computers to help the kids get precalculus down faster/better/more thoroughly? I don't have any answers right now on that one. I still believe in pencil and paper, grind it out, show the steps. And I don't see a place for the virtual manipulative things in precal - it is supposed to be abstract. If it were concrete stuff, it would be plain old algebra.

On the other hand -
- maybe I can set up some sort of lesson with winplot and changing the variables in a sine wave equation. Winplot is easier to get stuff to show up then on the calculator - although we need to do the two together.

- maybe I could finally learn geometer's sketchpad and use it for the trig stuff. A good way to do solving triangles would be helpful.

- could I use the computer for drill on the unit circle - set up something where the kids go in and enter answers on the circle.

- could I use moodle to manage the class - and maybe post the notes (except that my notes are idiosycratic at best and I'd hate to have to rewrite them in tidier form).

So guess what I get to do on my summer vacation.

No comments: